Friday, July 8, 2011

Seared Chicken Salad with Goat Cheese Dressing

My pal Therese, of co-op dinner fame, shared with me a recipe for a gorgeous salad the other day. I was pretty pumped to check it out because it called for goat cheese. I think I've been pretty clear about my feelings for goat cheese; it makes me feel weak in the knees.

After work, I swung over to the grocery store to pick up a few last minute ingredients for the salad. I needed:

  1. Lettuce. That one was easy. I got whatever lettuce was on sale.
  2. Chicken Cutlets. Less easy. They didn't have chicken cutlets that day, so I asked the butcher to slice a couple chicken breasts in half for me. I should have been a bit more clear, because I got chicken fingers instead of chicken cutlets. Eh, oh well. Chicken tastes like chicken no matter what shape it's in.
  3. Cherries. $7.99 a pound. I bought plums instead. Why? Because they were on sale. That's how I roll.
My pal, Jill, came over to cook with me, and we used what we had (in other words, not cherries) to pull this salad together. It was good. Since we were having girl time in the dining room, we sent a plate down to the husband in the basement, and he liked it, too. So there you have it: a delicious salad, girlfriend- and husband-approved.

Seared Chicken Salad with Goat Cheese Dressing
Adapted from Martha Stewart
Serves: 4

1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese (about 2 ounces)
2 tablespoons chopped chives
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons water
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound chicken cutlets
3 plums, thinly sliced
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup toasted, chopped walnuts

In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, goat cheese, chives, vinegar, and water. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees, about 3 minutes per side. Slice chicken into thin strips crosswise.

Divide lettuce among four plates. Even distribute chicken, plums, cranberries, and walnuts on top of lettuce. Top with dressing and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment