Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tilapia with Oranges and Olives

The husband requested tilapia for dinner the other day. Because I bought a bushel of oranges at Costco recently, I thought I'd bake the tilapia in foil packets with orange slices on top. I wanted to add some flair, and I had this idea in my mind that oranges and olives would be a good combination. So, some chopped Kalamata olives went into the packets, too. When I opened up the foil, a wave of orange-y steam smacked me in the face.  I liked it. I thought the fish tasted pretty darn good, too.

The husband, on the other hand...not so much.

He looked up at me with his beautiful, brown eyes, and said, "This isn't how you made it last time, was it?"

Uh oh.

After some fact-finding questions, I discovered that the husband doesn't like baked oranges. And the combo of oranges and olives really weirded him out. Well, you live, you learn. No more savory oranges for the husband.

But I'm curious, readers. What about you? Was I crazy with my orange-olive combo?

Tilapia with Oranges and Olives
Serves:2

2 tilapia fillets
Salt and pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced shallot
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 teaspoon orange zest
2 tablespoons chopped Kalamata olives
6 thin orange slices
2 tablespoons white wine

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut two large pieces of aluminum foil to create your packets. Place one tilapia fillet on each piece of foil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Evenly divide garlic, shallot, parsley, orange zest, and olives between the two packets. Top each fillet with 3 orange slices and 1 tablespoon wine. Carefully fold up the sides of the foil and crimp the top to form a packet. Place packets on a baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes, until fish flakes easily with a fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment