Friday, March 11, 2011

Turkey Meatloaf Florentine

The word "meatloaf" makes me giggle. "Loaf." It just sounds so funny!

I went through a phase in high school when I was way too cool for meatloaf. (I can imagine my poor mother rolling her eyes as she reads this. For all the nights I poo-poo'ed this Midwestern delicacy, Mom, I apologize.) Once I got a bit older I realized something important about meatloaf: It is awesome. Who cares if it's trendy or cool or funny-sounding? Well, who except for high-schoolers, that is.

The other day I made one of my all-time favorite meals: Turkey Meatloaf Florentine. This kid-friendly meatloaf has a tangy-sweet glaze made with honey and mustard. But parents will be just as pleased because you sneak a bit of spinach into mix along with heart-healthy ground turkey.

Give this dinner a try on your pickiest eater, and let me know how it goes!

Turkey Meatloaf Florentine
Serves: 6


½ cup breadcrumbs
2 eggs, beaten
½ cup ketchup
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried basil
10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
¼ cup chopped onion (this is about ¼ of a large onion)
1 ½ pounds ground turkey
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together breadcrumbs, eggs, ketchup, garlic, basil, spinach, and onion. Gently fold in the turkey until just combined. (You don't want to overmix once you add the turkey because it will make your meatloaf dense.)

In a 9” x 13” baking dish, shape mixture into a 9” x 4” loaf*. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. 

Meanwhile, mix together mustard and honey; brush on meatloaf after the initial 45 minutes of cook time. 

Bake an additional 25-25 minutes, or until meatloaf has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Let meatloaf rest 10 minutes before slicing. 

*If you're having a hard time forming your meatloaf into a 9" x 4" shape, try this handy-dandy trick. Draw a 9" x 4" rectangle on a piece of parchment paper. Place it on your baking dish, pencil side down. Now use this guide to make sure your meatloaf is the perfect size! 

4 comments:

  1. This looks great! I'm definitely trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful meatloaf! To me meatloaf is comfort food. I make mine with turkey and spinach, like you, so good. I'll have to try your glaze:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I would love to try this! Great recipe... thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe looks great! I'm always looking for ways to sneak vegetables into our meals.

    ReplyDelete