Monday, March 7, 2011

Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas

Has your kitchen ever looked like a crime scene?

Mine has.  On a number of occasions, in fact.  For instance, the time I was Dexter (the serial killer/hero on the hit Showtime series of the same name) for Halloween.  The husband volunteered to splatter fake blood on my costume, and we thought the best place to do said splattering was the kitchen.  I am still finding that doggone blood under my cupboards.  Needless to say, the kitchen is not the best place for a (faux) crime.

The most recent incident was when I was making these green chile chicken enchiladas.  Holy cow, these suckers are messy!  Enchilada sauce on the counter and floor.  Red, sticky fingerprints on the microwave.  But their messiness is rivaled only by their deliciousness, so don't let it hold you back.  In fact, revel in the enchilada sauce-splatter.  If you have kids, get them involved in dipping the tortillas in the sauce.  They'll love it.  And you won't have to mess up your manicure.

Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
Serves: 6-8

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2-4 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
4 ounce can diced green chiles
4 cups cubed or shredded cooked chicken
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
Salt and pepper
2 10-ounce cans red enchilada sauce
12-16 corn tortillas
1/3 cup shredded cheese
Sour cream and salsa, for serving

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent and softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cumin until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in chiles, chicken, and cream cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, warm up enchilada sauce in a medium saucepan. Pour 1/2 cup sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Wrap corn tortillas in damp paper towels and microwave until they are pliable, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Dip one tortilla into enchilada sauce. Place about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture onto the tortilla and roll up tightly. Place seam-side down in the prepared baking dish and repeat with the remaining tortillas and chicken mixture.

Pour 1 cup of the enchilada sauce over the enchiladas in the baking dish and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, until the enchiladas are hot and the sauce is bubbly.  Serve with sour cream and salsa.

6 comments:

  1. I have been craving enchiladas lately. As a matter of fact, we went out for Mexican on Friday night and I ordered some that were completely flavorless. Yours look amazing and I can tell by the ingredient list that these suckers are good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ang, yes. These suckers ARE good!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a recent Austinite turned Seattlite I am missing my Mexican food...and my messy kitchen often associated with Mexican food.Thats not to say that I don't do a bang up job messing up my kitchen with other recipes but I can't wait to try these enchiladas. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cooking with my kids. The messier, the more memorable! Sounds wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! There's nothin' better than a big old gooey, cheesey chicken enchilada ... some mess must be tolerated! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, I just visited Austin for the first time recently, and I loved it!! Although Seattle is great, I can see how you miss the excellent food in Austin. Hope these enchiladas are a taste of home!

    ReplyDelete