Friday, August 3, 2012

Quinoa with Black Beans and Sweet Potatoes

This recipe is a combination of other things I've shared with you recently. In other words, I was using up leftovers.

I cooked the quinoa in my rice cooker. If you don't have a rice cooker (or if you don't feel like using it), feel free to cook the quinoa on the stove. I've included instructions for that below.

I cooked the sweet potato in my crock pot. I've become friends with that kitchen workhorse, and I've decided it must be used in every season. Nobody puts baby my crock pot in a corner.

Using my handy-dandy electric appliances is easy, hands-free, and it keeps my kitchen cool. That is probably my number one summer cooking goal: Keep it cool. It's applicable on so many levels.

Quinoa with Black Beans and Sweet Potatoes
Serves: 4

1 cup quinoa
2 cups vegetable broth (or substitute chicken broth or water)
Juice from 1/2 lime (about 1 tablespoon)
1.5 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon chili powder
15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 medium sweet potato, cooked, peeled, and cut into bite-sized pieces
4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled

Cook quinoa in vegetable broth either in a rice cooker or on the stove. (If you're using a rice cooker, check out this post for instructions.) To cook quinoa on the stove, combine quinoa and broth in a medium-sized pan over medium-high heat. Bring liquid to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 15-20 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine cooked quinoa, lime juice, parsley, chili powder, and black beans. Gently fold in sweet potato. Sprinkle goat cheese over the top and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment