Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Pita Pizza

When I was in college, our cafeteria was pretty clever with leftovers. The day after they served gyros, when I was lucky (and by that I mean when there was leftover pita bread), was pita pizza day.

Back then I appreciated how delicious pita pizzas were. Now that I'm a grown-up in charge of making my own meals, I also appreciate how stinkin' easy they are to make. It's seriously ridiculous. You pile stuff on top of a pita bread and bake it until the cheese melts. Done. Dinner is served. Eat it while it's hot.

The husband and I are pretty simple when it comes to pizza toppings: pepperoni for him, pepperoni and kalamata olives for me. But feel free to use whatever you'd like to add pizzazz to your pizza. Mushrooms? Absolutely. Peppers? Sure. Anchovies? You go right ahead and live on the edge.

Pita Pizzas
Serves: 2

2 pita breads
1/2 cup tomato sauce (I've used spaghetti sauce and pizza sauce, and both works perfectly.)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Pepperoni, olives, or other pizza toppings of your choice

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place pitas on a baking sheet. Evenly divide tomato sauce, cheese, and toppings between the pitas. Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Serve warm.

1 comment: