Monday, August 1, 2011

Chicken Salad with Feta & Fruit

Lately when I get home from work, the last thing on my mind is cooking dinner. I want to take a walk, spend time with the husband and our friends, watch the fireflies, water the plants, read a book, watch TV...but I'm not in the mood to slave over a hot stove. (The scorching temperatures could have something to do with that!)

I was still in this mindset when my gal pals came over to cook dinner last week. Also, admittedly, I was looking for an easy meal so we could focus on gabbing and drinking wine instead of a complicated ingredient list. I stumbled on this gorgeous salad recipe in an old issue of Eating Well, and it was just the ticket. Using chicken from a rotisserie bird I picked up at the grocery store made it even simpler.

So next time you don't feel like cooking, give this a whirl. It looks fancy and tastes unbelievable.

Chicken Salad with Feta & Fruit
Adapted from Eating Well magazine
Serves: 4 (as a main dish)

1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
3 tablespoons fruit-flavored vinegar (I used strawberry balsamic)
4 teaspoons sugar
1.5 teaspoons poppy seeds
Salt and pepper
8 cups salad greens
2 (cooked) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 cups cubed cantaloupe
1 pound strawberries hulled and halved (or quartered, if large)
1/3 cup toasted chopped pecans
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese

Whisk together sour cream, vinegar, sugar, and poppy seeds. Season to taste with salt and pepper. In a large bowl (or on individual plates) combine salad greens, chicken, cantaloupe, strawberries, pecans, and feta cheese. Drizzle with dressing and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment