Monday, May 9, 2011

Curried Chicken Salad with Yogurt

I really try hard to build my shopping list using the sale flyer at my local market. It helps me feel less guilty about the occasional box of Reece's Peanut Butter Puffs that shows up in my cart. But sometimes I buy a strange combination of food because it happens to be on sale. Take this week for example:

  • Rotisserie chicken was $4.99. Tuesday ONLY. I couldn't pass that up!
  • Plain yogurt. Ok, not sure what I was planning to do with the plain yogurt, but I thought it seemed useful at the time.
  • Lemons were so much cheaper if I bought a 4-pack. I figured I'd use them up somehow.
When it came time to plan dinner, I was a little flummoxed. Note to self: meal plan BEFORE grocery shopping. I'm a real genius sometimes. Anyway, somehow the idea of curried chicken salad popped into my head. It must have been some sort of miracle, because how else are you supposed to get rid of plain yogurt and rotisserie chicken in the same meal?? 

Our easy dinner was so delicious that next time, I might just buy the ingredients on purpose. 

Curried Chicken Salad
Adapted from Gourmet via epicurious.com
Serves: 6

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup plain yogurt
4 teaspoons curry powder
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1.5 teaspoons honey
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
4 scallions (white and light green part only), very thinly sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 rotisserie chicken, skin and bones removed and meat cut into bite-sized pieces (about 4 cups)
2/3 cup sultanas (a.k.a. golden raisins)

In a medium-sized bowl, stir together mayo, yogurt, curry powder, lemon juice, honey, ginger, and scallions. Season to taste with salt and pepper. 

Stir in chicken, sultanas, and pecans.

*If you would like to serve this curried chicken salad in a pita, as I planned to, please remember to cut your pitas in half before toasting them in the oven. Otherwise, they won't cut well, and you'll need to serve chicken salad pita pizzas. (See picture...I really should have cut the pitas first.)

No comments:

Post a Comment