Thursday, December 23, 2010

Science Geek Hits the Kitchen

In case you were wondering, apples are my favorite fruit.  In line with my standard weirdness, though, I only like to eat them when they're sliced.  I think it stems from some traumatic event during my (many) years in braces.

Anyway, the issue with sliced apples is that they turn brown.  Yick.  I am guilty of eating with my eyes first...I don't like brown fruit.

Recently, I did a little test.  I've heard that giving your apples a quick rinse in lemon water slows the discoloration.  So, I gave it a whirl.  Here's how it went, using the scientific method, obviously.

Ask a question: How do I keep my fruit from turning brown?
Construct a hypothesis: If I put sliced apples and pears into lemon water, it will slow down the discoloration.
Test with an experiment:

  1. In a medium sized bowl, combine juice of one lemon with 2 cups of water. 
  2. Slice apples and pears, and place in lemon water.
  3. Dry off fruit.
  4. Place fruit on platter.
  5. Bring platter to bookclub.
  6. Continue to monitor browning while discussing "In the Neighborhood." 
Analyze results: The pears still turned brown pretty quickly, but the apples stayed white for quite a while.  
Draw a conclusion: Soaking fruit in lemon water slows down browning of apples, but not really pears.  But even once it's brown, the fruit is still delicious.   

1 comment: