Monday, October 3, 2011

Easy Acorn Squash

Over the past couple weeks I've been pulling my fall clothes out of storage as the weather has gotten progressively chillier. There was a pang of sadness as I sealed the giant Tupperware storage bin containing my sundresses, but then I looked at the cold-weather glory before me: cozy sweaters, tweed jackets, corduroys that go "swish, swish, swish" when I walk. Ahh, fabulous fall.

And then came the time for me to try on these autumn ensembles. Apparently, a summer of frozen custard and hot dogs wasn't kind to my derriere. 

Needless to say, I'll be focusing on the baggy sweater portion of my fall wardrobe for the next few weeks (maybe months, please let it not be years) as I attempt to eat a bit more healthfully. Considering my idea of "dieting" is watching Richard Simmons Sweat to the Oldies as I eat a brownie or two, this could be interesting. 

And with that, here are some vegetables. Give me strength...

Easy Acorn Squash
Serves: 2

1 (2-3 pound) acorn squash
1 tablespoon brown sugar (to taste)
Salt and pepper 
A teeny, tiny pinch of sweet curry powder (optional)

Using a sharp knife, pierce the skin of the acorn squash in about 10 places to allow steam to escape. (Skipping this step will result in you scouring your microwave due to exploded squash guts all over the place.) Place the acorn squash on a plate to catch any juices that might leak out and then place it in your microwave. Microwave on high power for about 10 minutes, rotating the squash several times to ensure even cooking, until you can pierce the flesh easily with a knife. 

Carefully remove the squash to a cutting board and slice it in half. Let the squash rest for a few minutes until it's cool enough to handle. (This cooling part always takes longer than I think it will, and I end up burning my fingers because I'm in a hurry. Don't be like me.) Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and string from the squash and toss them into your compost pile. Then scoop the flesh into a bowl. Stir in brown sugar, salt and pepper, and, if you'd like, a very tiny pinch of curry powder until everything is well combined. 

Serve with butter on the side so your dinner companion doesn't have to suffer if his or her pants do fit. 

P.S. If you taste your acorn squash and think it needs a bit more sugar, try adding more salt first. I know it's not logical, but I've found the salt really pulls out the natural sweetness of the squash, and that usually does the trick. 

P.P.S. The fish pictured with the acorn squash in the first photo is Pan Seared Tilapia. It's awesome. You should make that, too.

5 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! Appreciate the tip on adding a bit more salt to make it sweeter. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How easy is that! Great recipe. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer baggy sweater season to stinky old bikini season any day! Although it might also have to do with a summer of food that wasn't kind to my derriere...

    ReplyDelete
  4. As much as I love the sundresses I have a thing for hooded sweatshirts and sweaters. Glad it is finally feeling like fall.

    ReplyDelete