Monday, October 10, 2011

Cider Roasted Carrots and Parsnips

Have I ever told you about my love affair with apples? I get all starry-eyed in the fall for a number of reasons, apple season being a big one. They are sweet. They are crunchy. They are chock-full of healthy things. They don't need to be peeled. They can be eaten in front of the TV. They keep the doctor away. They are my favorite fruit.

Another apple-icious (yep, I think I just invented a new word) treat the husband and I enjoy is cider. I had some sitting in my fridge and thought it might add pizzazz to roasted root veggies. A quick search on the epicurious app on my phone, and I was inspired to use butter instead of olive oil, my standard for roasting. Why? Because butter tastes awesome, and don't you forget it.

Butter + Cider + Carrots + Parsnips = True Vegetable Love

I have another fall crush.

Cider Roasted Carrots and Parsnips
Serves: 4

1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4" coins
1 pound parsnips, peeled, halved (if large), and sliced into 1/4" coins
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup apple cider

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place carrots and parsnips in a large, shallow sheet pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Using your hands, add butter and toss together the vegetables. Pour cider over the top.

Tightly cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 10 minutes. Remove foil, stir, and bake for about 10 more minutes, until the vegetables are crisp tender. (Watch the vegetables carefully during the last 10 minutes to make sure the sugar in the cider doesn't burn.)

No comments:

Post a Comment