Friday, January 7, 2011

Jicama Slaw

As I mentioned, I wanted to have a kitchen resolution for 2011.  Well, "resolution" sounds too strong.  Let's call it a kitchen goal.  Anyway, after much soul-searching, my 2011 kitchen goal is to use a new ingredient every week.

It's only a few days into January, but so far, I'm sticking with it.  Check back in March, and I might be telling a different story.


My first new ingredient was a fun one.  Jicama.  Here are my observations about it:

  1. The "j" is pronounced like an "h".  And, yes, I did pronounce it "jick-ahhhh-ma" the first several times.  My Buffalo accent made it sound even more unpleasant.  (Hang head in shame...)
  2. It is crunchy!  And refreshing!  And in a strange way, a little bit sweet.
  3. Verdict: I like jicama.
Jicama Slaw
Serves: 6

1 pound jicama, peeled and shredded in the food processor (or julienned if your feeling classy and/or patient)
1 pound carrots, peeled and shredded
1/2 small red onion, halved and very thinly sliced
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
3-4 tablespoons lime juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
Combine all the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl, and toss gently to combine.  Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to several hours.  

8 comments:

  1. I heard about jicama on david jubb's Raw Rice recipe. I couldnt find it, so used yam instead. You should try it out:
    http://rawgirlinmumbai.blogspot.com/2010/12/raw-rice.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I discovered jicama a few years back and have really come to love its texture. I'm pleased to find that your slaw has no mayo. Lime is always a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I have never seen that .. jicama. How is the taste? Similar to something more usual?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My co-worker grew this in her garden instead of turnips...she brought it in, all confused. I knew what it was because I watch the Food Network, we ate it raw with salt and loved it. This slaw looks really amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE jicama... It was kind of a staple growing up, but now I do not eat it as often as I did when I was younger. Thanks for sharing! PS.... I also didn't do resolutions this year and did 'goals!' AND...instead of doing year-long goals, I am making sets of goals for three-month durations! Hopefully, that will make it more likely that I make my goals! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had jicama before, but have never bought it and cooked with it at home. I love it though because like you said, it is very refreshing. This slaw looks awesome, so thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you all enjoy jicama! Medeja, this one is tricky to describe, but I'd say it's crunchy and refreshing like celery, with a texture kind of like apples, but sweetness that's more carrot-y. Sounds crazy, but tastes great! Anyone have a better description? Tiffany, I like your 3-month goal idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still trying to develop a taste for jicama. It's a bit starchy for me, kind of like a sweeter white potato. Your salad looks fantastic though.

    ReplyDelete