Monday, October 11, 2010

Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts

Halloween is approaching, and my sweet tooth is already starting to ache.  The husband and I picked up a super-sized bag of candy for the trick-or-treaters, and I made the mistake of opening it.  Now all those little bars of chocolate-y goodness are calling my name.

Lest I fund my dentist's retirement in its entirety, I might as well make vegetables that taste like candy.  Ok, who am I kidding, almost like candy.

Sweet potatoes are like the M&Ms of the vegetable world.  Everybody likes M&Ms and everybody likes sweet potatoes.  (Well, besides my father, but that's a whole different story...)  Brussels sprouts, on the other hand, are a little bit scary to most folks.  So, temper the fear by pairing them with sweet potatoes.  Brussels sprouts don't seem so frightening when they are basking in the safety of a sweet spud.

And if you serve this at the dinner table and the crowd starts getting a little whiny, tell them to give it a shot before they complain.  I have a sinking suspicion they'll like brussels sprouts after all.

Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts
Serves: 4

2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 1/4 pounds brussel sprouts, trimmed and halved
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean-up.  Toss together sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, olive oil, salt and pepper.  Arrange the vegetables in a single layer on the baking sheet.  (If they are too crowded, divide the veggies between two baking sheets and rotate them halfway through cooking.)  Roast 20-25 minutes, until spotty-brown and tender, tossing the vegetables with a spatula halfway through cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment