Friday, October 19, 2012

Pork Medallions with Sweet Potato and Brussels Sprout Hash

As you've probably noticed by my lack of posts over the last month, I haven't been cooking too much lately. I've been busy changing diapers and snuggling my sweet baby boy. That and trying to sneak in a nap to avoid becoming the most cranky lady in the history of the world. Seriously, I missed my mommy nap a few days in a row, and I almost had a melt-down. Naps are, apparently, essential for survival.

Thankfully, I have incredibly generous family and friends who have brought meals and treats to keep the husband and me from certain starvation. You all know who you are, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Enough with the mushy stuff. It was time for this girl to get back in the kitchen, and who better to help me out than my gal-pals, Kelly and Jill. We drank some wine and whipped up this fabulous meal. Ok, if I'm perfectly honest, Kelly and Jill did most of the cooking because I had to feed Danny boy and put him to bed, but I did help a little. A very little.

Pork Medallions with Sweet Potato and Brussels Sprout Hash combines some of the best flavors of fall. And if Brussels sprouts make you nervous, this is a good gateway recipe. The sweetness of the sweet potatoes off-sets the slight bitterness of the sprouts. I've used this combination before in my Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Brussels Sprouts recipe, and, trust me, it's a good one.

Without further ado, here's today's recipe. Enjoy!

Pork Medallions with Sweet Potato and Brussels Sprout Hash
Serves: 6
Adapted from The Chew

1/2 pound bacon, diced
1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and very thinly sliced
1 red apple, cut into very small (1/4") cubes
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into very small (1/4") cubes
1 large shallot, peeled and diced
Salt and pepper
2 pounds pork tenderloin, sliced into 1" thick medallions
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup white wine
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons butter

In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crispy. Remove bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside. Drain most of the bacon grease, reserving about 1 tablespoon in the skillet. Add the Brussels sprouts, apple, sweet potatoes, and shallot to the skillet. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes, stirring regularly. Stir the cooked bacon into the hash.

Meanwhile, season both sides of the pork tenderloin medallions with salt, pepper, and thyme. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a second skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the medallions to the pan and cook for about 5-7 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the pork is golden brown and cooked through. Remove the pork to a plate and tent with foil to keep it warm. Add the remaining tablespoon olive oil the skillet and repeat with the rest of the pork. (Note: You don't want to crowd the pan or the pork with steam, and it won't get the golden-brown crust you're looking for. If your skillet isn't very big, cook the pork in three batches to avoid crowding the pan.) Remove second batch of pork from the skillet and set on the plate with the first batch. Tent with foil to keep it warm.

Add wine to the skillet you cooked the pork in. Allow the wine to cook for 1-2 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pan to incorporate the browned bits into the sauce. Stir in mustard, butter, and any juices that accumulated on the bottom of the plate where the pork was resting.

Serve the pork drizzled with the white wine mustard sauce over a bed of sweet potato and Brussels sprout hash.

1 comment:

  1. Oh! Yes ma'am! This looks right up my alley! I'm pinning it!

    ReplyDelete