Friday, October 26, 2012

Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Bacon and Apples

There are many nights when we need to get dinner into our bellies in a hurry. There are also nights when I just don't feel like spending a lot of time in the kitchen. And then there are nights when I want to eat something cozy and delicious.

All of these occasions are perfect for a grilled cheese sandwich. The husband makes a mean grilled cheese. He figured out a way to get a cheesy crust on the outside of the bread as well as the melty, gooey inside. It's genius, really.

Recently I decided to take a stab at his specialty, but I added a twist with smoked cheddar, salty bacon, and sweet apples. I don't like to toot my own horn, but it was crazy good. Next time you're in a hurry/not in the mood to cook/hankering after comfort food, give this sandwich a try.

Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Bacon and Apples
Serves: 2

4 slices bread
1 cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese (We're generous with the cheese at my house.)
6 slices bacon, cooked
1/2 apple, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons butter, softened

To make each sandwich layer 1/4 cup cheese, 3 slices bacon, half of the apple slices, and then another 1/4 cup cheese. Spread the butter evenly on the outsides of each piece of bread. Cook in a skillet over medium heat until the cheese is melted.

1 comment:

  1. Those sandwiches look delicious!!! I wanted one as soon as I saw the picture!! You know I love toasted cheese sandwiches anyway, but the bacon and apple slices ... oh my. Maybe you can make some when we visit in not too many weeks ... pretty please?

    ReplyDelete