Monday, October 29, 2012

Carrots with Herbes de Provence

Last time I went to Costco, I bought a gigantic bag of carrots. Not baby carrots, big carrots. It's a pain in the patootie to peel and cut them up compared to the ease of baby carrots, but I think they taste better. And, if I have to be honest about the reason I really bought them, they were cheaper.

Needless to say, the husband and I have been eating a lot of this delicious orange vegetable. Glazed carrots, carrot sticks, roasted carrots... You get the picture. I was pawing through my spice cupboard looking for a way to add pizzazz to our now standard side dish, when I came upon Herbes de Provence. It was a delightful pairing.

Carrots with Herbes de Provence
Serves: 3

4 large carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4" thick circles
1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1 teaspoon butter
1/2 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
Salt and pepper

Place carrots and chicken broth in a skillet over medium high heat. Once it reaches a boil, cover, reduce heat, and allow to simmer for about 6 minutes. Remove the lid, increase heat to medium, and allow to continue bubbling for 5-7 more minutes, until the liquid is reduced and carrots are tender. Stir in butter, Herbes de Provence, and salt and pepper to taste.

1 comment:

  1. Bought a large bag of carrots in Buffalo...and will pull out my Penzy's Herbs de Provence and a bit of leftover both tonight! I CAN DO THIS!! I was looking for a redeeming feature for a dinner tonight with leftover pork roast! Plus, we can use those good things carrots provide to the ole body! Thanks. Keep these great recipes coming.

    ReplyDelete