Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Tomorrow is my mom's birthday. Since she lives in Buffalo and I live in Milwaukee, we rarely get to spend birthdays together. This year is, sadly, no exception. Somehow mailing a card just isn't the same as singing a rousing rendition of "Happy Birthday" while Mom blows out her candles. And it sure makes me miss her.

My mom is the one who taught me about making a happy home. The doors were always open for visitors, and parties were the norm when I was growing up. Whether it was a wedding reception for friends, turkey dinner and show tunes on the player piano, my grandma's 75th WrestleMania birthday party (not kidding about that one!), or just hot dogs on the grill after a church softball game, everyone was always welcome.

Since I've been thinking about Mom so much, I thought I'd share with you some recipes that remind me of her. Dishes she made while I was growing up or that we've cooked together. They're all great. Just like my mom.

Butterscotch Cashew Bars: Perfect for the church potluck.

Grilled Peach Salad: My mom and I grilled the peaches for this salad in the dark. It was an adventure. 

Pot Roast with Mushroom Gravy: Mom taught me how to make fall-apart good Pot Roast.

Cheesy PotatoesThese are essential on Christmas Eve.


Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts: My mom, sister, and I have been known to eat leftovers straight out of the fridge. (Cold. With our fingers. There's no shame...)

Simple Salad with Celery and Mandarin Oranges: Growing up, mom made a salad that inspired this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment