Friday, May 11, 2012

Peanut Butter and Stuff

I'll try not to go on and on about my pregnancy, but there is one thing I need to share with you...

It's about peanut butter and jelly.

Since I've been pregnant, by appetite has been strange. I can't handle onions or garlic, even if they're cooked. It's like I'd need to scrub my tongue with sand paper to get rid of the taste. It just lingers. Ick. And all I want to eat is carbohydrates. I could eat sandwiches and cereal every single day. Happily. And my favorite, my absolute favorite, is peanut butter and jelly. Preferably on a bagel. Oh, so help me. I eat PB&J sandwiches for dinner at least twice a week.

So you can imagine my delight when a dear friend introduced me to the Peanut Butter and Stuff sandwich at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery when I was in San Francisco for work recently. Get this:

On freshly-baked whole wheat bread, the good folks at Specialty's layer peanut butter, whole cranberry sauce, freshly sliced bananas, and thin slivers of Granny Smith apples. Good heavens. It was perhaps the best thing I've eaten in my life.

So obviously I had to replicate it at home. In case you aren't lucky enough to live near Specialty's (sigh), you can have the next best thing.

Peanut Butter and Stuff
Serves: 1

2 slices whole wheat bread
2 tablespoons peanut butter (I like using natural peanut butter for this sandwich.)
2 teaspoons jam (I used strawberry.)
About 1/4 of an apple, very thinly sliced
2 tablespoons whole cranberry sauce (I just used the canned stuff.)
About 1/4 of a banana, thinly sliced

Spread peanut butter on one slice of bread and jam on the other.

Layer apple, cranberry sauce, and banana on top of the peanut butter and then close up your sandwich with the jammy bread.

Slice in half so it's a bit more manageable to eat, and stuff your face.

2 comments:

  1. That looks superdelicious! One of my faves is peanut butter, strawberry or blueberry jam, kiwi slices and cinnamon. Better if you heat it up just a bit too. Strawberry slices can sub for the kiwi. Just yumful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, moonsword, you're makin' a girl hungry! I did just happen to pick up some strawberries at the farmers' market...

    ReplyDelete