Thursday, September 23, 2010

Seasoning Rub for Grilled Meat


As promised, today is dry spice rub day!  Just try to contain your excitement.

First of all, what are they?  They are spices, dry ones, that you rub onto food in order to increase deliciousness.  Meat is the obvious subject for spice rubs, but use one on sweet potatoes and be amazed!  (I should write infomercials.)  All you need to do is sprinkle it on the food, and rub it around until the surface is covered.  Done.  Oh...and then cook the food.

In general, you apply a spice rub right before cooking.  But, if your husband arrives home shortly after you've done your thang with the spice rub, flourishes a dozen roses, and insists on taking you out to the most swanky restaurant in town, DO NOT FRET.  Just stick that hunk of meat in the fridge and cook it the next day.  It'll be fine.  If you turn down the husband, on the other hand, that's the last swanky dinner invite you're gonna get for a looooong time.

So, next time you're feeling uninspired by the food in your fridge, just consider, "Would this increase in deliciousness if I rubbed it with spices?"  If the answer is "yes!" then, by gosh, apply a dry spice rub!


Dry Rub
2 tsp. seasoned salt
2 tsp. poultry seasoning
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne powder

Put ingredients in a jar and shake everything together.  Rub into meat (this is particularly good on pork or chicken) and grill, bake, or saute.  Store leftovers at room temperature in an airtight container for about a month. 

This is fast and easy.  Finding the spices in my poorly organized cupboard, measuring them into my little container, and putting the spices away took me 3 minutes and 39 seconds.  I timed myself: 


If you have a favorite spice rub, feel free to share in the "Comments" section.  Also, if you can make it in less than 3 minutes and 39 seconds, I'd like to know that, too.  

2 comments:

  1. Erin, I love your blog!! It is awesome, witty, fun and well just delightful. Cheryl sent me the link today. I will be reading OFTEN. Thanks for the tips. My daughter-in-love Brittany, loves to cook too. She has a blog that she has been writing about being a newlywed this past year. So fun to read. Well, tonight I made a pot roast, and you are so right, hot dinner, happy home! Say hi to Nick, love and hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cyndi! I'd love to check out Brittany's blog, too. Send the address my way.

    ReplyDelete