Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Irish Oatmeal


I love oatmeal.  I looooove oatmeal.  For years I enjoyed a packet of instant oatmeal for breakfast every morning.  It was convenient, delicious, and I'm convinced it will at least slow down the effect of all that Wisconsin cheddar on my arteries.  I was content with my breakfast choice.

Until I discovered Irish Oatmeal.

Chewy! Nutty!  FANTASTIC!!  This is the stuff dreams are made of!  Ok, so maybe I'm the only sick-o who dreams about oatmeal, but still.  I am completely hooked.  And the packets of instant oatmeal I once found so delicious?  Sitting in the bottom of my desk drawer, forlorn.

If you're not a morning person (ahem), or if you have an 8:00 a.m. meeting every Monday that you baaarely make it to on time (ahem, ahem), you might want to plan ahead with your Irish Oatmeal by making it on Sunday night.  Then you can pack it into individual storage containers and take it to work ready to go!  Simply re-heat it in the microwave for a couple minutes.  And if your co-workers are looking at you strangely with a big bowl of porridge at your desk, they're just jealous.  At least that's what I tell myself.

Irish Oatmeal
Serves 4

1 cup Irish oats (a.k.a. steel-cut oats)
4 cups water
Pinch of salt
Favorite toppings (brown sugar, raisins, dried cranberries, apples, cinnamon...)

Combine Irish oats, water, and a pinch of salt in a medium saucepan.  Bring to a boil.  Stir oatmeal, then cover and reduce heat to low.  Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes.  If your oatmeal is looking pretty watery after 25 minutes, keep the lid off for the last few minutes of cooking.

Serve hot with the toppings of your choice or pack it up for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment