Monday, September 20, 2010

Quinoa with Corn and Black Beans


More foods should start with "Q".  Seriously.  Besides quinoa, the only foods I can think of that start with "Q" are "Quik" and "Suzy Q." And, honestly, neither of those actually start with Q.  Quik is actually called Nesquik, which sounds more like a town in Northern Canada that you wouldn't want to visit in January.  And Suzy Q...well, that's just obvious.

Anyhow, I have a thing for quinoa.  It's absolutely delicious.  It's full of nutrients.  And it's ancient.

According to Wikipedia (a perfectly reliable source, if you ask me), "quinoa originated in the Andean region of South America, where it has been an important food for 6,000 years."  (See? Ancient.)  The Incas even thought it was sacred.  Also, because it contains the essential amino acids, it is a complete source of protein.

So, I stumbled upon today's recipe, and it could be my new favorite side dish.  A few tidbits:

You can certainly use frozen corn, but if there are a few ears left at your farmer's market, this would be an excellent way to use them up.  Or if you're grilling corn on the cob, grill up a few extra, and use the leftovers for this salad.  I use about three ears of corn.  I love corn.

If you happen to like tortilla chips as much as the husband does, feel free to eat this with chips.  Is it the classiest choice?  Not necessarily.  But neither is eating hot fudge by the spoonful, so I'm not going to judge.

Quinoa with Corn and Black Beans
Serves: 8
Prep Time: 15 minutes

1 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 cups vegetable (or chicken) broth
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
salt and pepper
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained*
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped

Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Stir in onion and saute until lightly browned.  Stir in garlic, cumin, and cayenne.  Stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.  Add salt and pepper.  Mix quinoa into the pan and cover with broth.  Bring to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15-20 minutes.  Stir in frozen corn and simmer five minutes, until heated through.  Mix in black beans and cilantro.  Serve warm or at room temperature.

*If you're looking to make this into a main dish, use two cans of black beans.

9 comments:

  1. I love quinoa too!!! looking for recipes for it-cannot wait to try this one. Have any other ones to share?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah - Glad there's another quinoa fan out there! And, yes, I will have more quinoa recipes coming up...I had to finish up the rest of the box somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms. Molly Marx made this and I had the pleasure of tasting it. It was FANTASTIC!!! Thank you for sharing-I definately plan on making it for myself! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you liked it, Colleen! I've got more quinoa recipes coming up, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tried this tonight and we all loved it! I had a red pepper to use up so I sauteed it with the onions. It made a great side dish for grilled pork tenderloin with your rub recipe on it (also really good). Yum--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great call with the red pepper, Mirandy!! Did the boys like it, too?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The boys loved it, cayenne and all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cayenne is only second to jalapino in my book! I will have to give this one a try. Black beans, corn... yummy! I am baking some potatoe bread today too, boy am I gonna get fat trying all these recipes! Being single and loving to cook and bake has it's down side. LOL
    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha!!! It's actually the perfect time of year for all this baking...as the weather gets colder, you need to bulk up to stay warm. :-) Enjoy, Martin!

    ReplyDelete