Sunday, September 26, 2010

Hunter-Gatherer


Much like the squirrel who lives in my backyard, I feel like it's time to start storing up provisions for the coming winter.  With this nesting instinct as motivation, I scampered off to the farmers market to rustle up some grub.

Unlike my furry friend, I did not carry my bounty in my mouth, but I did return with several sacks of delicious eats.  In the next couple weeks, you can look forward to hearing about them...  


Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Brussel Sprouts.  Mmmm.  Even if you aren't a brussel sprout fan, trust me on this one.  Also, I discovered that the official color of my retro (and by that I mean ancient) counter top is actually "brussel sprout." I'll keep that in mind next time I'm looking for accessories.

    
Chicken with Cipollini Onions & Riesling.  

 Oven-Roasted Green Beans.  I'm convinced that everything is better when it's roasted.


I also learned something new at the farmer's market.  Winter squash is the candy of the vegetable world, so, of course, I think it's off the hook.  Then I started thinking about those adorable little gourds that I stick in a bowl on my dining room table.  Could the teenie tiny squashes be as delicious as the big ones? Better yet, could they be MORE delicious?? 

One of the friendly farmers ensured me that they were not delicious at all, but rather dry and disgusting.  Good to know.   

No comments:

Post a Comment