Monday, August 5, 2013

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Honey Soy Glaze

Allow me to set the scene...

It's 6:30 p.m. The husband isn't home from work yet. I'm starving. So starving that I'm pacing the house like a lion at the zoo when it smells the keeper coming with a plate of steaks. I'm opening and closing cupboards in search of food. It is clear to the audience that the shelves are full, but I'm blinded by hunger and don't actually see the contents. I just keep opening. Closing. Opening. Closing.

Now the phone is in my hands. I'm punching numbers like my life depends on it. I need the husband to pick up fast food on the way home. There is clearly no food--NO FOOD--anywhere in the house for us to eat. With one number left to dial, it's like the fog lifts from brain. In the movie adaptation the lights brighten and Ace of Bace's early 90's hit "I Saw the Sign" plays promisingly in the background.

I open the freezer and burrow past ice cream and bagel bites to find a forgotten pork tenderloin. I reach for fresh green beans from the fridge, but clearly they've been there a bit too long. As I toss them in the trash with one hand (Swoosh!), I grab a bag of frozen peas with the other. That'll do just fine, thankyouverymuch. And couscous. That stuff cooks in, like, 30 seconds. I can handle that.

Even if you have to defrost the pork, this meal can come together in about 30 minutes. Maybe a smidge longer if you let the tenderloin rest for a full 10 minutes. But it will keep you from eating Chipotle three days in a row and totally impress your family and friends. In fact they'll be so impressed that they'll take you out for ice cream. Now I'm really dreaming.


Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Honey Soy Glaze
Adapted from Fresh Flavor Fast by Everyday Food
Serves: 4

1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon soy sauce

Heat grill to medium-high. Generously season pork with salt and pepper. Whisk together honey and soy sauce and set aside.

Meanwhile, grill pork for about 15 minutes, turning a couple times so it cooks evenly, until the pork reaches an internal temperature of 135 degrees. Brush with honey-soy mixture and grill for another minute longer on each side. Remove pork from the grill, tent with foil, and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment