Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Cranberry Pecan Couscous

Last week, the husband and I had some friends over to eat dinner and watch Bering Sea Gold. Do you watch any of those gold shows? I have to admit, I'm a little addicted to Gold Rush. My favorite character is John Schnabel. He's this 91-year-old miner up in Alaska, and he's got so much pizzazz! I mean, he's out there on the claim, riding in the heavy machinery with his 17-year-old grandson. When I'm 91, I'm gonna be playing Bunko. And that's on a good day. Most days I'll be eating split pea soup in the cafeteria of my nursing home.

I think that's enough about my obsessions with the Discovery Channel. You people come for the food, not the television commentary.

We needed nourishment before our big night of Bering Sea Gold. The boys grilled burgers, and the ladies threw together a couple side dishes. Cranberry Pecan Couscous was an experiment I tested out on our guests. It was perfect for weeknight entertaining because it was fast and used ingredients I had on hand. After dinner we voted and decided that it was a blog-worthy recipe. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Cranberry Pecan Couscous
Serves: 4-6

1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup water
1 (7.6 ounce) box plain couscous
1/3 cup dried cranberries
Zest from half an orange
1/3 cup chopped toasted pecans
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper

Bring broth and water to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan. Stir in couscous, cover, and remove from the heat. Let the couscous sit for 5 minutes, then fluff it with a fork. Stir in cranberries, orange zest, pecans, basil, orange juice, and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot, cold, or at room temperature.

5 comments:

  1. i haven't had this combination looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am OBSESSED with gold rush and that grandpa is my fave! Do you remember the scene where he yells out "Parker!!" with a look of absolute bliss in the hospital bed?!?! The boyfriend and I watch our DVR'ed version every Saturday morning ... I think it was because your husband got him hooked during our brother's wedding weekend! Love of gold rush must run in our blood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hubby l-o-v-e-s couscous!! This sounds incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I've never had "sweet" couscous - sounds like a great twist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK...Recipe looks really good, but my comment is more on the gold rush show. We are "seniors" in the B-lo and just LOVE gold rush. I like Parker the best, but the grandpa is certain in my top 3! I do get a bit nervo watching those dozers almost tip over. And the way they toss around the tiny glass jars with THOUSANDS in gold!!! Do you have any recipes you'd recommend for Storage Wars? for Dog the Bounty Hunter (my fav is Baby Lisa)?

    ReplyDelete