Monday, June 10, 2013

Rhubarb Compote

As I've lamented plenty of times, it takes a good while for Spring to show it's face here in Milwaukee. And since we're battling frost deep into May, we wait patiently for bountiful displays of produce at our local farmer's markets. (Although I probably shouldn't admit that my first stop at the farmer's market is usually for a triple berry muffin or a seven layer bar, and those vendors are gratefully peddling their bliss-inducing delicacies all season long.)

So as I maneuvered Danny's buggy through the throngs at the market, I greedily peered into each stall to see what the farmers managed to coax from the chilly ground. Frilly mounds of lettuce. Spindly seedlings of tomatoes and cucumbers. And then I spotted it, in all of its magenta-hued glory: rhubarb.  

My mind reeled with the possibilities. I love rhubarb! I grabbed a fistful and headed home to make something delicious. Well, after I paid for it, of course. I didn't need to star in the headline, "Rhubarb Robbery at Tosa Farmer's Market!"

Today I'm sharing a recipe for Rhubarb Compote. It's the perfect springtime topping for your ice cream. Add pizzazz to your morning with a dollop in your oatmeal. Spoon it over a slice of pound cake or biscuits for rhubarb shortcake.

Oh, and come back on Friday for Skinny Rhubarb Muffins. I'm keeping the rhubarb party going.

Rhubarb Compote
Serves: 4
Adapted from epicurious

1 1/4 cups water
3/4 cup sugar
1 heaping cup rhubarb cut into 1/4" pieces

Heat water and sugar in a small saucepan over medium high until sugar dissolves. Stir in rhubarb. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the compote thickens to a jam-like consistency, about 15-20 minutes. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment