Friday, June 28, 2013

Green Beans with Tangy Vinaigrette

The butcher at my grocery store had Chicken Cordon Bleu for sale. I love me some Chicken Cordon Bleu. I also love relaxing. So when the butcher makes the Chicken Cordon Bleu for me, and I can watch the Real Housewives instead of rolling up poultry, I love it even more.

I had one little issue with it, though: Chicken Cordon Bleu didn't feel very summery on a warm and sunny June evening. So I thought I'd summer-ize my side dish instead. A basil-infused, tangy vinaigrette drizzled over cool green beans was just the taste of summer I was looking for.


Green Beans with Tangy Vinaigrette
Serves: 4

1 pound green beans, ends trimmed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil*
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish if desired
Salt and pepper

Steam green beans for 4-5 minutes, until crisp tender and bright green. Run them under cold water to stop the cooking and cool them off. Meanwhile in a jar with a tight-fitting lid, shake together lemon juice, oil, mustard, basil, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour dressing over cooled green beans and garnish with extra basil.

*I like my dressing really tangy, so I use equal parts vinegar and oil. If you don't want your vinaigrette to be quite as zippy, try using 3 or 4 tablespoons of olive oil.

1 comment:

  1. Love green beans when nicely dressed.. These sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete