Monday, June 3, 2013

Ginger-Soy Marinated Steak

You know what really frosts my cookies? When you put a bunch of time into something and get zero payoff. Like the other day, for example, I decided it seemed like a good idea to clean the windows. I'd watched a couple episodes of My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding (I know...quality programming), and all the Gypsy wives were cleaning their windows. I figured if they were doing it, maybe I should, too. You know, to be a good (non-Gypsy) wife and all. So I busted out the Windex and scrubbed away.

Those darn windows looked exactly the same as when I started.

This could have to do with the fact that I only washed the insides of the windows. Being a bit technically challenged, I couldn't figure out how to do the fancy maneuver to get the windows to fold down so I could wash the outsides. And I sure-as-shoot wasn't about to drag my sorry rear end outside with a stepladder to do it. So, the windows still look streaky and dirty and completely not up to Gypsy wife standards. This particular endeavor was not worth the time.

You know what was worth it, though? Marinating this steak. It took 4 minutes to throw together the marinade, then it sat in my fridge all day while I did nothin'. The husband did the grilling, and I just stuffed my face because this steak tasted awesome. That's the kind of work that I can get behind.


Ginger-Soy Marinated Steak
Adapted from Fresh Frugal Fabulous
Serves: 3-4

5 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1.5 tablespoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak

In a blender (or the Magic Bullet you bought from an infomercial) blend together soy sauce, onion, garlic, vinegar, ginger, and sesame oil. Place steak in a baking dish or ziploc bag and pour marinade over. Turn the steak so it's evenly coated with marinade. Refrigerate for at least an hour or up to a day. Flip the steak every once in a while so the marinade has a chance to soak into both sides.

Allow the steak to come to room temperature for about 30 minutes before you toss it on the grill. Meanwhile, heat the grill to medium-high. Grill steak for about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil, allowing the steak to rest for 5-10 minutes. Slice steak thinly across the grain and serve.

Note: If you feel like it, reserve the marinade and boil it for a few minutes to kill the germs. Then you can serve it as a sauce on the finished product. The husband and I decided we didn't need any sauce, so we skipped this step.

No comments:

Post a Comment