Friday, November 23, 2012

Oatmeal Bread

I am a carb-o-holic. I can't get enough bread, muffins, cookies, cereal, bagels, cake... If it is a carb, I want it. And I want it now.

Since I've been on maternity leave, I've been carbo-loading big time. As I've mentioned many times, PB&J and peanut butter & Fluffernutter sandwiches are a couple of my guiltiest pleasures. My favorite bread for said sammies costs a pretty penny at the bakery, so I decided to make my own on the cheap.

I busted out my bread machine and set to work. By "work" I mean layering ingredients and pushing the start button. It was actually quite easy. Three hours later, the sweet smell of freshly baked bread wafted from my kitchen. I sliced thick slabs and made myself a particularly glorious peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwich. It was all I hoped and more.

Oatmeal Bread
From West Bend
Makes one 1.5 pound loaf

9 ounces warm milk (80 degrees) (This is 1 cup + 2 tablespoons.)
2 tablespoons butter
2 1/2 cups bread flour
3/4 cup oats (Use quick cooking or old fashioned oats. Do NOT use instant oatmeal.)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast

Layer all of the ingredients in your bread maker in the order listed. Use the "basic" function to make one 1.5 loaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment