Friday, June 29, 2012

Pasta with Lemon Yogurt Sauce

Before I get into today's recipe, I've got a little something to say about onions and garlic. A few weeks after I found out I was pregnant, I noticed a couple funny things about my appetite. First, all I want to eat are carbohydrates and, specifically, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Second, when I eat onions and garlic, I am miserable. I will taste them all night long. Waking up thirty five times a night to go to the bathroom is one thing, but waking up to the taste of garlic is where I draw the line.


This is why you may have noticed onions and garlic have been missing here on Hot Dinner Happy Home. I felt like I needed to explain myself. Now, for today's hot dinner...


I made this recipe with my gal pals because the husband doesn't do tomatoes or zucchini. Let me tell you, it was delish. The girls were understanding of my food issues, so we cut back on the garlic. But if you're neither pregnant nor a vampire, feel free to add a couple cloves. 


Pasta with Lemon Yogurt Sauce
Serves: 4
From ezrapoundcake.com 


8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti*
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced into half moons about 1/8" thick  
1/2 pint grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
1 teaspoon lemon zest 
Salt and pepper


Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add enough salt so it tastes like sea water and stir until salt is dissolved. Add pasta and cook according to package instructions until it's al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water, drain the pasta, and set it aside.


Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and saute for about 4-5 minutes, until it's almost crisp-tender. Add tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes, until tomatoes start to soften and zucchini is crisp-tender. Stir in garlic for 30 seconds, until it's fragrant, then remove the vegetables from the heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. 


In a large bowl, whisk together Greek yogurt, Parmesan cheese, and lemon zest. Stir in cooked pasta and vegetables. Add 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta cooking water. Toss everything together again, and, if necessary, add the additional 1/4 cup of pasta water to make sure the sauce is smooth and evenly coats the pasta and veggies. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with extra Parmesan cheese.


*Feel free to use a different shape of pasta. I think it would look really cute with that wagon wheel shaped pasta. I haven't had that in eons. 

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Sorry to hear you have to omit the garlic and onions, those are my favorite ingredients, but I also love lemon and this sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete