Monday, September 5, 2011

California Chopped Salad

Some things are just meant to go together. Like fresh summer corn and tomatoes. That's why I use them in every single recipe I make lately. Don't judge.

I was chatting on the phone with my mom the day I was making this salad. She started chuckling and told me a story about her college roommate who made a similar salad. The roommate put corn chips on top of her version and called it "California Chopped Salad." Chips? On a salad? I couldn't pass that up. So, in honor of my mom's roommate, give today's recipe a try.

Want to take it from side dish to the main event? Add some black beans or a few slices of rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.

California Chopped Salad
Serves: 4

Dressing
2 limes, juiced
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (Use the good stuff.)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
Salt and pepper, to taste

Salad
3 ears corn on the cob, silks and husks removed
4 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
1 pint grape tomatoes
A handful or two of tortilla chips, crumbled

Whisk together dressing ingredients and set aside. (If you don't feel like whisking, just shake everything together in a jar, like I did.)

Meanwhile, bring a very large pot of water to a boil. Add the corn and cook until just tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until it's cooled to the touch. Cut the corn off the cob and place in a large bowl. (See my post on Therese's Corn and Tomato Salad for pictures of this step.)

Add Romaine and tomatoes to the corn. Pour dressing over the top and toss to combine. Serve topped with tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment