Friday, June 24, 2011

Triple Layer Mud Pie

I was in charge of bringing dessert to a gathering with friends the other day. It was hot, hot, hot out, and the sun was beating down...a perfect summer day in Wisconsin. I wasn't particularly in the mood to turn on the oven in my teeny-tiny kitchen because, I'll be honest, I didn't feel like sweating my face off. So, the husband and I were discussing what I should bring, and he had an inspiration. "I'm thinking...something with pudding," he said. With that statement he declared himself the expert on seasonal desserts.

After flipping through a 2" stack of dessert recipes, I stumbled upon the recipe below. It was delicious, and it was EASY. I braved 10 minutes with the oven on so I could make my own Oreo crust, but you could definitely purchase a pre-made crust at the grocery store.

What's your go-to dessert when it's too hot to turn on the oven?

Triple Layer Mud Pie
Serves: 8

1 Oreo cookie pie crust (see recipe below), cooked and cooled
3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, melted
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
2 cups cold milk
2 packages (4-serving size each) instant chocolate pudding
8 ounces Cool Whip

Combine chocolate and sweetened condensed milk until well-mixed. Pour into the bottom of the cookie crust and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle with pecans. Pop the crust in the fridge while you prepare the next layer.

In a large bowl, combine milk and pudding mixes. Beat with a wire whisk for 2 minutes. Spoon 1.5 cups of pudding over the pecans in the crust. Add half of the Cool Whip to the remaining pudding. Whisk together until well combined. Spread over pudding layer in crust. Top with remaining Cool Whip.

Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving.

Oreo Cookie Crust
22 Oreo cookies
5 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pulse cookies in a food processor until you have coarse crumbs. Add butter to food processor and pulse to combine. Press cookie crumbs into an even layer covering the bottom and sides of a 9" pie plate. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the crust is fragrant and holds its shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment