Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Smoky, Coffee-Rubbed London Broil

My kids love a good steak, so I make it pretty frequently. When beef is on the menu, I know they'll eat at least some of their dinner.

My husband and I also appreciate a good steak and it's nice to change the preparation up a bit every now and then. Enter the giant bag of Dancing Moon Coffee we received. As much as we love to drink java, I got to thinking about other ways I could use the beans. A coffee rub kept sticking in my brain.

I've never made a coffee rub so this was a good reason to try one out. My favorite kind of steak to prepare is London Broil, so I decided to marry the two.

This main dish turned out pretty well. So well, in fact, that Max (my oldest) asked for a steak sandwich in his lunchbox the day after we had this for dinner. Score one for mom!

I hope you like this rub as much as we do.

Mangia! Mangia!
Andrea



Smoky, Coffee-Rubbed London Broil
3 tablespoons ground coffee beans
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
1 1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons mustard powder or ground mustard seed
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 2-3 pound London broil
1 tablespoon oil

In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients through salt.


Generously coat London broil on all sides with the coffee rub. Gently press rub into steak. Wrap steak in plastic wrap and let chill in refrigerator for a few hours.

When ready to cook, prepare a broiler pan with nonstick cooking spray (or use a wire rack set inside a rimmed baking sheet). Start to preheat your broiler.

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high flame. Remove plastic wrap from steak. Sear London broil in pan for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, to help the rub form a nice crust.

Place London broil on broil pan and then transfer to oven. Cook 3 to 4 minutes and then turn steak over and cook another 3 or 4 minutes. Check steak for doneness. I like to shoot for medium-well, which retains some pink color in the middle of the steak.

Remove from oven and let London broil rest on a cutting board about 5 minutes. Then slice thinly, going against the grain.


I like to serve with green beans, scalloped potatoes and a good beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment