Friday, December 4, 2015

Kris Kringle Rice Krispie Treats

When I was growing up, my mom was invited to a cookie exchange with her girlfriends every December. And every year she brought the same cookies...which weren't cookies at all, but fancy pants rice krispie treats called Kris Kringles. Everybody loved them, her darling children included. Even though she brought some delicious cookies home from her exchange, the Kris Kringles were the first to get gobbled up at our house.

When Amy, Andrea, and I started chatting about posting our favorite Christmas cookies this week, I knew I had to share my mom's recipe for Kris Kringle Rice Krispie Treats. But although I had enjoyed these delicious treats since I was a kid, I had never actually made them myself. It was time to call my mom. She was at work when I called, but promptly recited the recipe from memory. They are as simple as they are delicious.

I hope you enjoy this taste of my Christmas past!

Let's get cooking!
Erin


Kris Kringle Rice Krispie Treats
From my mom...the best place to get a recipe

6 cups rice krispies
1 cup sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1 cup peanut butter*
1 heaping cup butterscotch chips
1 heaping cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Measure 6 cups of rice krispies into a really large bowl. Grease a 9" x 13" baking dish and set aside.

In a saucepan over medium heat, melt together sugar and corn syrup. As soon as it comes to a boil, immediately turn off the heat and stir in peanut butter. (You don't want it to boil too long because then your Kris Kringles will be really, really hard. My mom learned this from experience and shared her wisdom with me.) Carefully pour over the rice krispies and stir to combine.

Meanwhile, in a double boiler (or a heat-proof bowl set over barely simmering water) melt butterscotch chips and chocolate chips. Stir until it's a smooth mixture and pour over the bars. Use a spatula to spread the chocolate mixture to the edges. Allow the Kris Kringles to cool and the chocolate to harden before cutting into squares with a sharp knife.

*My mom recommends using chunky peanut butter. Since the husband is a creamy peanut butter kind of guy, that's what I used.


P.S. Danny has learned that it pays to hang around while I'm taking pictures for the blog. How could I deny this guy a taste?

No comments:

Post a Comment