Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Cucumber Sesame Salad

While visiting my sister and her family in balmy North Carolina two weeks ago, I was reminded of a cucumber salad I used to make, thanks to my nephew Connor. This 2-year-old will eat cukes at any meal, as long as they are sliced and served with a healthy sprinkle of pepper–onchi (that's ground pepper in toddler speak.)

When we got home I tried to find the recipe but struck out. So I did my best to recreate it.

This salad is so refreshing on a hot day. And I think the sesame seeds make it look pretty.

Mangia! Mangia!
Andrea



Cucumber Sesame Salad

3 cucumbers, English or traditional
1 bunch green onions, sliced or 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon white sugar
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar or rice vinegar
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, more to taste
1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
1 tablespoon black sesame seeds

Peel cucumbers, leaving a few stripes of green. Cut cucumbers in half lengthwise. Using a teaspoon, scrape out seeds.



Thinly slice each cucumber half. Mix cucumbers and green onions in medium bowl.

In a small bowl or cup, add sugar and rice vinegar. Stir until sugar dissolves. Pour over cucumbers and onions. Add sesame oil, black pepper and sesame seeds. Gently stir everything to combine flavors.

Serve immediately or chill for 30 minutes or more.


That's Connor enjoying a slice of cucumber.




No comments:

Post a Comment