Monday, March 10, 2014

Overnight Oats with Chia Seeds

My mom came to visit, and in addition to helping me wrangle my little man, she introduced me to Kefir. She drinks it every day and expounds on how good it makes her feel. In fact, she likes it so much that she buys it even when she doesn't have a coupon. She says they sell it at Aldi, too. A place where bargains abound.

So we tried Kefir. And it's tasty! It's like liquid-y yogurt, which sounds gross, but tastes good. The website for Lifeway (those are the people that make Kefir) describes it as "a creamy and delicious yogurt-like smoothie the whole family will enjoy." Now that's marketing at its finest.

Kefir made me think about overnight oats. Since it's like yogurt-y milk, I figured it could take the place of the yogurt + milk combination I use to make overnight oats. I stirred in some chia seeds to help thicken everything up and add a healthy punch of omega-3's, and we were in business.

I think my mom and I have solved all of your breakfast dilemmas. Your welcome.

P.S. The makers of Kefir have not in any way sponsored this post. In fact, they have no clue who I am. However, if they chose to send me a lifetime supply of Kefir, I wouldn't turn it away.

P.P.S. Want more Overnight Oats? Check them out here and here (with frozen berries as Bill recommends).



Overnight Oats with Chia Seeds
Serves: 1

1/2 c old-fashioned oats
1 cup strawberry* Kefir (or substitute 1/2 cup yogurt + 1/2 cup milk)
2 teaspoons chia seeds
Maple syrup or honey, to taste
Chopped strawberries, for serving (optional)

Stir together oats, Kefir, chia seeds, and maple syrup. Stir in the fridge overnight. Serve topped with strawberries.

*Feel free to substitute your favorite flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment