Friday, June 26, 2015

A Tribute to the South

Last June, the husband, our boy, and I packed up our little house in Milwaukee and moved down south to Charlotte, North Carolina. And we've loved it here. If you haven't been to Charlotte yet, you've gotta get down here for a visit. The people are kind and polite, the weather is great, and it's a beautiful part of the country.

But we can't leave well enough alone. So this week we're packing up our little house in Charlotte and moving out west to Seattle, Washington. We are very excited about our new hometown, but you know what doesn't thrill me? Packing a gazillion boxes. I'm tired just thinking about it. So instead of bubbling wrapping my tchotchkes, I'm rounding up my favorite Southern-inspired recipes and reminiscing about my time in Charlotte.

Let's get cooking...some Southern food, y'all!
Erin

Bread & Butter Pickles: There's something about the South that makes me feel domestic, and what's more domestic than pickling?


Canned Applesauce: Okay. Maybe canning is more domestic than pickling.

Grilled Peach Salad with Goat Cheese: I don't know if it's the vicinity to Georgia or what, but they grow some killer peaches around here.


Lightened-up Chicken Curry Salad: When summer hits in Charlotte, it's just too hot to turn on the oven. Whip up this Chicken Salad with rotisserie chicken and you have the perfect no-cook meal.


Three Cheese & Bacon Macaroni & Cheese: Mac & cheese is southern. The TV told me so.


Spring on Toast: I made this egg and asparagus dish with Amy, one of my favorite Southerners.


Baked Cheesy Grits: I mean...GRITS.


Succotash with Green Beans: This just feels Southern to me.


Lemon Buttermilk Cake: I have used buttermilk in more recipes since moving to the South. And this cake is glorious.

Mint Julep: This one is obvious. Bottoms up!





No comments:

Post a Comment