Monday, January 20, 2014

Slow Roasted Beef

As we approach the end of January, I'm wondering...are you still keeping your New Year's resolutions?

According to the U.S. Government (seriously), some of the more popular resolutions are to eat healthy foods and save money. Since I shared a recipe for Kale Chips last week, let's talk about saving a few bucks today, shall we?

I don't claim to be super budget savvy, but when I'm planning my meals for the week, I always start with the grocery store circular. Since protein is usually the most expensive part of my menu, I flip to that page first. What's on sale? Well, that's what we're eating. Last week, there was a special on sirloin tip roast. I had no idea what that was. So I Googled "Sirloin Tip Roast Recipes." I read a few. Then I consulted one of my cookbooks on the subject. Then I made hot dinner.

I guess the moral of the story is this: check out what's on sale and let that inspire your meal. If you're looking for recipes, check out Pinterest or, if I may provide a shameless plug, the Recipes section right here on Hot Dinner Happy Home. Next thing you know, your piggy bank will be running over.

A few notes about today's recipe:

  1. I can't overstate how delicious Slow Roasted Beef is. Don't be fooled by the short ingredient list; this roast is tender, juicy, and ridiculously flavorful. 
  2. This recipe requires a bit of planning ahead. You need to salt the beef the day before you want to cook it. This allows the flavor to permeate the entire roast. It's worth the extra (hands-off!) time.
  3. Using up leftovers is another way to save some cash. Pile thinly sliced leftover beef on crusty rolls and top with a slice of Havarti cheese. Wrap the sandwiches in foil and bake at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Dunk sandwiches in au jus. (I use the au jus mix from an envelope. No shame.) Et voila! French Dip Sandwiches. 


Slow Roasted Beef
Adapted from America's Test Kitchen and BS in the Kitchen

3 pounds sirloin tip roast
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil

The day before you're planning to make slow roasted beef, pat the roast dry and season very generously with salt. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate. Remove beef from the fridge about 30 minutes to 1 hour before you're ready to start cooking.

Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Pat beef dry one more time and season generously with pepper. Heat olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over high heat. Sear beef on all sides until it's deeply caramelized and brown, about 4 minutes per side.

Place beef on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast in preheated oven until beef reaches 115-120 degrees for medium rare, about an hour and fifteen minutes to an hour and a half. (Mine took and hour and fifteen minutes.) Tent with foil and let it rest for 20-30 minutes, until beef reaches a temperature of 125-130 degrees. Thinly slice and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment