Friday, July 12, 2013

Teriyaki Glazed Salmon

Tell me I'm not alone in this: You have a plan for dinner. You are positive, 100% positive, that you have all the ingredients on hand. You consider going to the grocery store, but, no. You're really, really sure you've got everything. Once you're preparing the meal, however, you realize you're missing one of the key ingredients. So. Annoying.

That's what happened when I went to make this salmon, and I was peeved. The original recipe called for hoisin sauce. I usually have a bottle open in my fridge and two in the cupboard because every time it goes on sale I think, "Well, gee! I think I need some hoisin sauce!" So I stock up. Until I actually need it. Doggone hoisin sauce.

Anyway I made a quick switcheroo and used teriyaki instead. The substitution worked wonderfully and my salmon was glazed with a golden, slightly sweet crust. I propped it up on a pillow of sticky rice and served some edamame on the side.

Give Teriyaki Glazed Salmon a try. But if you're fresh out of teriyaki sauce, just go ahead and use hoisin. And let me know how it is!


Teriyaki Glazed Salmon
Serves: 4
Adapted from: Simply Recipes

2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
4 6-ounce salmon fillets

In a small bowl, whisk together teriyaki sauce, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, and ginger. Place salmon in a baking dish or a Ziploc baggie. Pour marinade over salmon and turn to coat. Allow to marinate a few minutes or up to an hour.

Heat the broiler to high. Adjust the oven rack so it's about 6" away from the heating element. Line a broiler-safe (not glass!) pan with aluminum foil and place salmon on the foil. Drizzle marinade over salmon. Broil salmon for about 10 minutes, until it flakes easily with a fork. (Real life cooking here: I can adjust my oven rack so it's 4" or 8" away from the broiler. I put it 8" away for 10 minutes then moved it closer for 2 minutes, to help the top caramelize. Worked like a charm.)

1 comment: