Monday, February 25, 2013

Asian Coleslaw

I went through a serious coleslaw phase when I was pregnant with Danny. In particular I liked it piled on a turkey sandwich. Strange? Perhaps. Delicious. Absolutely.

I haven't met a slaw I don't like, but I'm particularly smitten with Asian Coleslaw. My mom used to make this when I was a kid, but I couldn't remember her exact recipe. So I turned to our trusty church cookbook. Apparently Asian Coleslaw is so popular among the congregation at Randall Church that there were two different recipes. I scoured the internet to clear things up, but that just added to my confusion...I found even more recipes for Asian Coleslaw. And none of them was the same!

I combined the best parts of four recipes to create the Asian Coleslaw below. Does that make it the best Asian Coleslaw of all time? I don't know, but it was dang good.


Asian Coleslaw

2 tablespoons butter
1 package Ramen noodles, crumbled into small pieces (Discard the flavor packet.)
3/4 cup sliced almonds
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
3 tablespoons canola oil
14 ounce coleslaw mix

Heat butter in a skillet over medium. Add Ramen noodles, almonds, and sesame seeds and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes, until everything is fragrant and golden brown. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

Meanwhile, whisk together sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, and canola oil until combined. Place coleslaw mix and cooled Ramen noodle mixture in a large bowl. Add dressing and stir until everything is evenly coated. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

2 comments:

  1. I've made something similar to this. Breaded chicken is a nice addition if you're looking for something a little more substantial than just slaw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip, DanL! The husband loves breaded chicken.

    ReplyDelete