Monday, April 16, 2012

Toasted Roast Beef Sandwich with Balsamic and Roasted Red Peppers

Whenever the husband is out of town, I use it as an excuse to eat foods that he doesn't care for, like tomatoes and red peppers. And I will neither confirm nor deny eating cereal for dinner when he's not around to catch me.

When I sat down to brainstorm this husband-free meal, my thought process was something like this:

I want something carb-y. Ciabatta bread! And cheesy. Oooey, gooey, stringy cheesy. Mozzarella! And balsamic vinegar. The husband hates that stuff. And the grand dame of foods hated by the husband: roasted red peppers. Oh. And I should probably have some protein. Roast beef. That's got protein...

I piled all of my hankerings onto a sandwich and called it dinner.

And it was gooooood.

P.S. My apologies in advance for the ridiculously long recipe title. I am accepting other suggestions that have fewer than ten words. Please.

Toasted Roast Beef Sandwich with Balsamic and Roasted Red Peppers
Serves: 1

1 ciabatta roll, split in half
1 slice (or about 1/4 cup shredded) mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup baby spinach (a handful)
5 thin slices roast beef
1 roasted red pepper (patted dry if you use the kind from the jar)
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On one half of the ciabatta roll, layer cheese, spinach, roast beef, and roasted red pepper.

Drizzle balsamic vinegar on the cut side of the second half of the roll.

Close up the sandwich and wrap it in aluminum foil. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the sandwich is warmed through. (Alternately, you could heat the sandwich in a panini press.)

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, that looks fantastic! :) I definitely have foods that won't fly with the wife, but I just make single servings for myself anyways ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you think, Kiri!

    ReplyDelete