Friday, February 17, 2012

Remix: Prosciutto & Cheese Sandwich with Fig Jam

This weekend I wanted a sandwich, but I wasn't in the mood for peanut butter and jelly. Immediately I started taking my temperature to confirm I didn't have some kind of fever or incurable disease because, really, I can't tell you the last time I wasn't in the mood for PB&J. It's my favorite, and I want it always. Anyway, once I was certain that my health was intact, I set about discovering an acceptable alternative that I was in the mood for. 

Prosciutto? Mmm. Sounds good. Cheese? Uh, yes, please! Fig jam? Drool...

So, I whipped up an open faced version of this Prosciutto and Cheese Sandwich with Fig Jam I made almost exactly one year ago. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for PB&J that day either. And I survived to tell about it.


Open-Faced Prosciutto & Cheese Sandwich with Fig Jam
Serves: 1 hungry girl

2 slices of hearty bread
2 tablespoons fig jam (Your local market should sell this along side the strawberry preserves. It's really lovely. Give it a try!)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or 2 large slices of mozzarella)
4 paper-thin slices of prosciutto

Turn the broiler to high. Meanwhile, divide fig jam evenly between two slices of bread, schmearing it all the way to the edges. Top the jam with mozzarella, evenly dividing it between both slices of bread. Broil until the cheese is melted, about 4 minutes. (Watch your sandwich carefully to make sure it doesn't burn!)

Pile 2 slices of prosciutto on each piece of bread. (The warmth from the melted cheese will soften the prosciutto and make it dreamy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment