Monday, January 8, 2018

Slow Cooker Black-Eyed Peas

I have high hopes for 2018 — for my business, my family and my country. Leaving nothing to chance, I decided on a New Year's Day dinner of black-eyed peas and collard greens. Southern culinary tradition has it that you eat these foods on January 1 to bring you luck, prosperity and wealth in the new year. Who can argue with that?

Of course, to soak up all the yummy juices I baked cornbread, too. Making these foods comes naturally to me, thanks to the Tennessee side of my family. Beans and cornbread equaled a regular supper (we didn't say dinner) growing in my family. I'm pleased to say my husband and daughters now enjoy it. If you've never tried it, this wintertime meal is cozy and comforting. Give it a try. 

Wishing you luck, prosperity and wealth in 2018.

XOXO,
Amy



Slow Cooker Black-Eyed Peas
1 pound dried black-eyed peas
6 cups chicken broth 
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
1 leftover ham bone with some ham remnants or 8 ounces of ham
4 sliced of bacon cut up into half-inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
Salt to taste

Soak beans in water overnight. This step is optional. The beans will probably be fine if you skip this step; you'll just have to let them cook a bit longer.

Rinse beans and place in slow cooker.

Add all other ingredients. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until beans are tender. Serve with greens and cornbread.


No comments:

Post a Comment