Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Blueberry Zucchini Bread

Last summer I joined a CSA (community supported agriculture) co-op and in August and September, we were inundated with all kinds of squash.

Lorna and Dale, the owners of Bompa's Farm, shared lots of ideas for how to use up the vegetable and I came across even more on the web. I used zucchini, white, yellow and patty pan squash in casseroles and sliced up raw to dip into hummus. I stuffed, sautéed, roasted and baked them into all sorts of deliciousness.

One of my favorites is this quick bread, which tastes super with zucchini, yellow squash or both. It is super moist and each bite delivers a burst of blueberry flavor.

This year, I'm buying my zucchini and squash at the local grocery store. Lorna and Dale sold their Central Illinois farm and moved out west to be closer to family. I didn't know them long, but they made a big impression on us. Lorna and Dale taught my boys about where food really comes from and what it takes to grow vegetables (i.e. broken legs and hail storms don't mean the work stops!) And if their gentle giant of a dog Solomon hadn't taken such a liking to my Sam, I never would have taken home one of his pups.

Now I think of Lorna and Dale when I watch Trixie (our puppy,) Max and Sam running around outside, and whenever I bake this treat.

Mangia! Mangia!
Andrea



Blueberry Zucchini Bread
Inspired by Allrecipes.com

3 eggs
Part of my CSA squash haul.
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup Splenda (or white sugar)
2 cups shredded or grated zucchini, yellow or white squash
3 cups all purpose flour (or use 1 1/2 cups white and 1 1/2 cups whole wheat)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 pint fresh blueberries

(Note: I recommend doubling the recipe. I usually do, so that I have some extra loaves on hand or in the freezer when I need a treat for family or friends.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange over racks to be in the middle of the oven. Lightly grease 2 to 3 loaf pans, depending on the size you are using. I use pans that are either 9 x 5 x 2 1/2 inches or 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches. You can also use mini loaf pans or make muffins.

In a large bowl, whisk or beat together the eggs, applesauce, oil, vanilla and Splenda or sugar. Stir in the zucchini and/or yellow or white squash with a spoon.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Add half of flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir with spoon or beat with mixer. Add remaining flour and stir well with spoon or beat with mixer until everything is combined.

Gently fold in the blueberries.

Fill prepared loaf pans with batter. Bake for about 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted into middle of loaves comes out clean. Cool on wire racks for at least 30 minutes.

Slice and enjoy. Goes great with coffee.


That's our "puppy" Trixie. She's a farm girl at heart. She likes this bread too, if she's tricky enough to snag a piece!




1 comment: