Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Fit to be Tied by Lady of the House


Today I hit my local craft store with one thing in mind, or I should say two: my niece and nephew. They're approaching the wonderful age of scribbling and doodling, and I've had this idea for a while that I ought to make them each their own little crayon roll-up. I found adorable fabric and headed straight for the cutting table.

With the help of my dear Mum, a true artistic genius, we whipped up this little kit in no time. I used basic quilting fabric, cut to an 18 by 18 inch square. Then, I lined it with a piece of felt cut to 10 inches by 16.5 inches.
We folded the edges of the quilting fabric, pinned it, then stitched it.

Allowing ample room for the spiral sketch pad and crayons, we stitched pouches so everything tucks neatly into its proper place. (At the outset, a placemat, and a bit of pinning with the crayons and notebook of your choosing give a good gauge of where you're headed measurement wise.) And perhaps it's helpful to note that we allotted 1 and 3/16 inches per crayon, and 5.5 inches for the notebook.


The crayons I purchased are triangular in shape and recommended for little ones. Truthfully, I think those crayons are really suited to their parents who don't need the added burden of chasing rolling crayons in addition to keeping the blasted things out of baby's mouth!

I'm no seamstress, but I'm happy to report this was a simple project with zero drama. And hey, I've got a jump on my Christmas presents!!

xoxo,
{ Lady of the House }
please send along any questions: hdhhlady@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment